Menu Close

Legal Assistance

Aboriginal Legal Service

The Aboriginal legal Service (ALS) has been providing legal service and advice to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people all over NSW for more than 50 years.

Visit their website at
phone 02 9213 4100 or email

Advocacy Law Alliance Incorporated

Advocacy Law Alliance work through three separate organisations: Disability Advocacy NSW, Mid North Coast Legal Centre, and Disability Law NSW. They work together to make sure people with disability and others who are disadvantaged are properly represented and get a fair go. For more information visit their website at, phone 02 4924 3599 or email

Disability Advocacy NSW

Visit their website at

Central Coast, Hunter, North and South
Phone: 1300 365 085 or 02 4927 0111

New England
Phone: 1300 365 085 or 02 6776 6201

Northern NSW
Phone: 1300 365 085 or 02 6651 1159

Mid North Coast
Phone: 1300 365 085 or 02 6651 1159

Western and Far West NSW
Phone: 1300 365 085 or 02 6332 2100

Western Sydney, Nepean, and Blue Mountains
Phone: 1300 365 085 or 02 4708 3047
Western Sydney Email:
Nepean Blue Mountains Email:

Mid North Coast Legal Centre

Mid North Coast Legal Centre cover Hunter New England, Northern NSW and Mid North Coast. Visit the Mid North Coast Legal Centre website at, phone 02 6580 2111 or email

Disability Law NSW

Disability Law NSW is a program run by the Mid North Coast Legal Centre, for more information visit their website at, phone 02 5519 8050 or email

Australian Centre for Disability Law

A Community Legal Centre providing legal advocacy to people with disability and their families. Services include providing free legal advice, selected casework and referrals. If you believe you have been discriminated against because of your disability, they can offer free legal advice or provide a referral to another service that can help.

1800 800 708

Complaints Resolution and Referral Service (CRRS)

Complaints Resolution and Referral Service provide a service for people using Australian Government-funded disability employment and advocacy services.

The CRRS can help people by:

  • helping you gain resolution of your issue or problem;
  • providing you with information;
  • helping to improve your experience as either an employee or a jobseeker;
  • providing clarity to you on how the complaints process works.

For more information, visit their website at

Disability Legal Services (Australian Human Rights Commission)

Disability Legal Services is part of the Australian Human Rights Commission. Visit their website at or
phone toll free 1800 666 611 or 02 9318 2887.

Everyday Justice

This is a free legal service to help with everyday legal issues. They can help with issues like:

  • Employment law
  • Tenancy
  • Credit & debt
  • Financial abuse
  • Fines & infringements
  • Human rights
  • Public interest law

They also offer full legal representation subject to an eligibility test, on-the-spot legal advice, and help with drafting letters or basic court documents.

1800 161 196

Intellectual Disability Rights Service (IDRS)

The Intellectual Disability Rights Service (IDRS) is a specialist legal advocacy service for people with intellectual disability in New South Wales.

The support they provide includes:

Legal advice

  • Free of charge and can be over the phone or face to face;
  • Legal advice is given to benefit people with intellectual disability;
  • Appointments can be made by calling IDRS;
  • Anybody in NSW with any disability can access this service.

Support at police stations

  • State-wide service in NSW for people with intellectual disability;
  • Includes telephone legal advice at the police station;
  • Available to victims, witnesses and people accused of committing a crime;
  • Operates 9am-10pm, 7 days a week.

Help for parents with intellectual disability

  • For care and protection matters;
  • Legal advice, information and referral service;
  • Consultation and education is also available for service providers.

For more information please go to their website at
For legal help and general enquiries phone 02 9265 6350. For the Justice Advocacy Service call 1300 665 908 or 02 9265 6300 or email

LawAccess NSW

LawAccess NSW is a free government telephone service which provides legal information and referrals. In some cases, they may also be able to offer legal advice. Issues they can help with include traffic offences, debts, court attendance, domestic violence, neighbourhood disputes and family law.

Their website provides information in other languages, as well as step-by-step guides and practical tools for dealing with your legal problem without a lawyer.

1300 888 529

Legal Aid NSW help disadvantaged people with criminal, civil and family legal problems. You may be eligible for legal representation and help with court and tribunal appearances.

1300 888 529

A not-for-profit community legal centre providing free and accessible legal services to people experiencing social and economic disadvantage.

Their services include:

  • Youth legal services
  • General legal services
  • Domestic violence support
  • Family law
  • Tenants’ advice and advocacy

02 9559 2899

Tenants Union of New South Wales

The Tenants Union can provide advice on rent and bonds, evictions, leaving a property, security and access, share houses and boarding houses, and Aboriginal housing issues.

1800 251 101

Other Helpful Government Agencies

Commonwealth Ombudsman

Contact the Commonwealth Ombudsman when you have problems or issues with either Australian Government agencies or private companies. For more information visit their website, phone toll free 1300 362 072 or email

NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission

Contact the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission if you have a complaint about your provider. The Commission was established to improve the quality and safety of NDIS Service by working with both participants and providers.

For more information visit, phone toll free 1800 035 544 or email

To make a complaint visit

NSW Ageing and Disability Commission

The NSW Ageing and Disability Commission is there to promote the rights of adults with disability and older people so that they can live in their own homes and the community free from abuse. For more information visit, phone toll free on 1800 628 221 or email

NSW Fair Trading

NSW Fair Trading is there to protect the rights of consumers, tradespeople and businesses in NSW. For more information visit their website at or phone 13 32 20.

NSW Ombudsman

Contact the NSW Ombudsman if you are having problems with a community service, with your local council or NSW government department or service. Visit their website
Phone toll free 1800 451 524 or email either or