Menu Close

Complaint Agencies

Aged-Care Rights Service, NSW (TARS)

TARS is a community legal centre that protects the rights of older people. TARS provide telephone advice, advocacy, legal advice and educational services.

TARS offer advocacy, information and legal advice including:

  • Telephone and face-to-face advocacy
 for people getting aged care services at home or in an aged care home
  • Legal advice and advocacy for people living in retirement villages
  • Legal advice and information to all older people in NSW.

For more information you can visit their website at:

Anti-Discrimination Board of NSW

The Anti-Discrimination Board deal with complaints where discrimination has taken place.  Discrimination means treating someone unfairly because they belong to a particular group of people or have a particular characteristic.  The NSW Anti-Discrimination Act can help you and the other side find a way of solving the problem.

Freecall (for rural and regional)

1800 670 812


9268 5544

For more information about complaints, visit their website at

Australian Communications and Media Authority


(02) 9334 7700

Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC)

The ACCC provides information for consumers buying disability-related products and services, including participants under the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

You have rights under the Australian Consumer Law. You have the right to expect that a product or service will do or perform as it should. If not, you may be entitled to a repair, replacement or refund. You have the right to truthful and accurate representations. Sales agents cannot mislead or deceive you. You have the right to fair treatment. Sales agents cannot act unconscionably towards you.

The ACCC can give you information and guidance about making a complaint.

Visit their website at

Australian Human Rights Commission

The Australian Human Rights Commission can investigate and resolve complaints of discrimination, harassment and bullying based on a person’s:

  • sex, including pregnancy, marital or relationship status (including same-sex de facto couples) status, breastfeeding, family responsibilities, sexual harassment, gender identity,  intersex status and sexual orientation
  • disability, including temporary and permanent disabilities; physical, intellectual, sensory, psychiatric disabilities, diseases or illnesses; medical conditions; work related injuries; past, present and future disabilities; and association with a person with a disability
  • race, including colour, descent, national or ethnic origin, immigrant status and racial hatred
  • age, covering young people and older people
  • sexual preference, criminal record, trade union activity, political opinion, religion or social origin (in employment only)

Visit their website for more information at

NSW Civil & Administrative Tribunal

Specialist tribunal services for resolving a broard range of disputes, including problems with strata, tenancy, landlords, social housing, boarding houses, guardianship


1300 006 228

Commonwealth Ombudsman

For complaints about federal government agencies, including the National Disability Insurance Agency, Defence Force, Immigration, Law Enforcement, Australian Taxation  Office and Postal Industry.


1300 362 072

Or visit their website at

Community Justice Centres

Provide free mediation and conflict management services to help people resolve disputes


1800 990 777

Office of Fair Trading

Fair Trading provides information and assistance for consumer issues, motor vehicles, home building and renovation, credit, property and tenancy issues.

Their website also provides information and factsheets giving information about your rights as a consumer


1300 135 399

For more information visit their website

Energy & Water Ombudsman NSW (EWON)

Complaints about all electricity and gas companies in NSW and some water providers


1800 246 545

Fair Work Ombudsman

For complaints about employers


1300 799 675

Financial Ombudsman Service

Complaints about banks, credit cards, loans, financial advisers and insurance


1300 780 808

Health Care Complaints Commission


1800 043 159

Housing Appeals Committee

Reviews decisions of social housing providers


1800 629 794

Human Rights & Equal Opportunity Commission


1300 656 419

Independent Commission Against Corruption


1800 463 909

Judicial Commission of NSW

Complaints about judicial officers


(02) 9299 4421

NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission

The NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission is a new independent agency established to improve the quality and safety of NDIS supports and services.

Their aim is to  regulate the NDIS market, provide national consistency, promote safety and quality services, resolve problems and identify areas for improvement.

Call 1800 035 544 or click here to to find out how to lodge a complaint.

NSW Ombudsman

Complaints about NSW government agencies


1800 451 524

Office of Industrial Relations

Aims to achieve fairness and equity for all at work in NSW


131 628

Complaints about solicitors and barristers


1800 242 958

Police Integrity Commission


1800 657 079

Privacy Commissioner NSW


1300 363 992

Private Health Insurance Ombudsman


1800 640 695

Superannuation Complaints Tribunal


1300 884 114

Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman

Complaints about mobile, telephone and internet service providers


1800 062 058