Children and Young People with Disability Australia (CYDA)
Children and Young People with Disability Australia (CYDA) is the national peak body which represents children and young people (aged 0-25) with disability.
CYDA has the mandate to advocate for children and young people with disability living in Australia and undertakes the following to achieve its purpose:
- Listen and respond to the voices and experiences of children and young people with disability.
- Advocate for children and young people with disability for equal opportunities, participation and inclusion in the Australian community.
- Educate national public policy-makers and the broader community about the experiences of children and young people with disability.
- Inform children and young people with disability, their families and care givers about their citizenship rights and entitlements.
- Celebrate the successes and achievements of children and young people with disability.
For more information you can visit their website at www.cyda.org.au or phone 03 9417 1025.
FACS Careleavers’ Line
The Department of Family and Community Services has a new service – the FACS Careleavers’ Line, which aims to support young people who are leaving or who have left out of home care.
The service commenced on 1 July 2015 as a first step in providing a contact point and source of information. It is likely that the service will be refined and complemented by additional strategies in the future and these may include specific age-related / technology friendly initiatives as part of a leaving care reform agenda that is now taking shape.
The FACS Careleavers’ Line number is 1800 994 686. There is also information about the various supports and services available to care leavers on the FACS website at www.community.nsw.gov.au/docs_menu/parents_carers_and_families/for_young_people/are_you_in_care/are_you_leaving_care.html
Young People in Nursing Homes – National Alliance
Young People in Nursing Homes National Alliance is Australia’s first peak body for young Australians living in aged care facilities (or at risk of placement there) with a disability, who also have high and complex support needs.
Information and Support for individuals, families & carers
Young People in Nursing Homes National Alliance provide information and referral on:
- Accommodation options
- Support services
- Aids & Equipment (including pressure care) and,
- Opportunities for young people and families to participate in new service developments in all states and territories.
For more information, visit their website at www.ypinh.org.au